Friday, September 07, 2007

Have a whole new reason to look forward to Fridays now.

Because I have more time than I need allotted to me down in Florence, teaching a 16 week class in about 18 weeks, I usually give the kids Fridays off. I show up and take roll, and then while I get caught up on other things, they ether study other things (remember, these kids are supposedly the smart ones), or they just shoot the shit. This morning was just as hilarious as last Friday.

Along with the normal banter about which one of the guys likes it up the ass, and who'd supposedly done what to whom, the cheerleaders (in uniform, of course) all somehow got into a discussion of which one of them had supposedly kissed another girl, and would they do one of those Girls Gone Wild videos. The boys were all sitting at attention, and then one of the boys, hearing them talk about kissing other girls, spoke up and said "Would you... please?" I was rollin', but mostly inside. I was busy grading exams from one of my Ft. Hood classes, and needing to get it done. These kids today! Love it.

After that was over I headed up to the office on base and found my buddy Dave looking at the web sites for Terlingua. We're all goin' to the next chili cook-off the first weekend of November, and he was scoping out the agenda for that weekend. They have live acts there each night, mostly country bands, but the live shows cam be quite fun.

We found out today that the Derailers are gonna be playing there one of the nights. They have a great sound, sort of a combination of Buck Owens, Bob Wills, and the early Beatles, if you can believe it. They're a regular in Austin, and will be playing the ACL (Austin City Limits) festival there later this month. I looked at their web site and according to their tour schedule, Terlingua is no where to be seen. Oh well, we'll see.

The trip this year should be fun. There's a rival cook-off down the road that has a much wilder reputation. I went over there briefly last year, but we got there just after the wet t-shirt and chili wrestling contests had ended. our timing will have to be better this year.

Anyway, I taught my lunch time classes, taking one bunch through the beginning of World War 2, from about 1933 to 40, and the others from about 1817 to 1828. Andy Jackson and the beginnings of the cotton economy/Industrial Revolution. Fun stuff.

Then it was home to do laundry and try to pull something out of my ass to post here. How does it smell so far?

I'll be heading over to Temple to eat with dad, and then he wants to go to a football game in Academy, his old school. I'll take Denise with me. We had plans to do stuff till the old geezer came up with this, and I have a hard time saying "no" to the man. I also need to come back by the base later and try to get mom a new sticker for her new Buick. She needs it so she can shop at the commissary on base.

Saturday evening, Denise and I will be doing to a wedding. A friend of hers from work is getting hitched, and then we'll all be getting sloshed at the big reception down the road. Sunday morning, I have to be up in Gatesville at 9AM. A few buddies and I are going to Ft. Worth to a gun show. I'll probably get a chance to give that GPS system back to Jim, if all goes well. It sure was fun to play with on that road trip to Tennessee.

So, I hope you all have a good weekend. Rest up. The pro football begins in earnest, which means cold weather will be blowing down from the north in no time. I can't wait. Take care. Cheers.

13 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

You got it right buddy, the weather is changing, we are down in the 50s at night and a few leaves are changing, fall is in the air.

J said...

Sounds like a fun night! My weekend doesn't consist of as much fun as yours, but I will make the best of it!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Man, you are going to keep on until you get into trouble with those young chicks! Don't say I didn't warn ya!

I can't wait for the cold winds to blow...if they ever do here anymore.

I'm needin' some Chinese food, but it appears Italian is all that's on the agenda this weekend.

Had my wings and a "black & tan" (my first) today, along with a big fat CAO! Nice day.

Somebody give "J" girl a break!

Catmoves said...

Hiya FHB. I just finished a new post. You might want to have a look at it.

Anonymous said...

So weird to read your stuff, I was born in temple at the old 'scott-and-white'?, torn down long ago, we lived on a small farm near Belton until i was about six... live out at Terlingua from '70 to '72...and then there's the Killeen story, hope you read that on my blog? we seem to have some common themes..http:www.gearheadphilosophy.blogspot.com hope I'm not annoying you folks.

Lin said...

Mushy's right - you be da teach and stop that prurient eavesdropping, ya hear?! Have a great weekend!

Alex L said...

Couldnt really concentrate after the thought of cheer leaders kissing... wonderful image. Well your footballs just beginning and ours is just ending.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ah bonny lad, I feel tired just imagining all the stuff you're getting up to thesedays - when do you ever sleep?? (I'm only jealous.)

J said...

Awww Mr. Mush, don't you worry about me, now! I'm a big girl, I will survive!

FHB said...

Sarge - Went to my first football game last night, so it won't be long. There'll be a chill in the night air soon.

Mushy - Dude, I never touch, but can't help but look.

Cat - I'll check it.

Binder - I read that one. Hilarious. I'll send folks over.

Lin - Hey, it's not like I'm trying to listen. I have to tell then to hold it down so the folks next door can't hear it. They're brazen, I wanna tell ya. Some kids gonna be lucky as hell.

Pope - Yep, other side of the planet and all. You guys are just warmin' up, right?

Shrinkie - Yep, I get about 4 hours a night these days. Wears me out, and makes it hard as hell to keep up with everything. It's a living.

J - You'll do well girl. Tell your hubby I said Hi! I'll see ya at school.

Alex L said...

Yes summer soon, and its not going to be pretty, we may actually run out of water this time if we dont get a buttload of rain.

BRUNO said...

Yeah, I know---I'm late again!

I actually had a decent weekend so far---been sittin' on my ass, burnin' an occasional 'gar, and watchin' it RAIN! First time in 2 months!

Glad you are the one who has to mess with those damned kids! They're gettin' almost as good at back-bitin' as us adults are today...!

none said...

ha kids, all they talk about are dicks and tits.

Those were the days...