Monday, September 24, 2007

Busy weekend.

Laid around all day Saturday, till about 5pm! I know, sloth and indolence. Well hell, I guess we needed to recharge. We were supposed to go to a garage sale over at Holly's mom's place, but it just never materialized. Couldn't drag our lazy asses out of the sack in time. Sorry Holly.

Eventually got up and got ready to go to a party at a house out in Cove. This guy Fred runs the Planetarium out at school, and his wife (who works with Denise) just got her Masters Degree. They had a big shindig, with lots of booze and something called a "low country boil".


Yea, I know... Crappy phone picture. They boiled all this corn on the cob, taters, shrimp, and sausage in a big pot, and then poured it out on a table so we could pick through it. It was wonderful. The corn soaked up all the spices of the rest of the food, and the sausage was to die for.

Later I walked up to the upper deck of their back yard and smoked a Mac, and drank about four or five Coors Lites. Their choices of beer weren't up to what I've been taught to look for, but it passed the time. Denise had about six or eight glasses of wine, and was feeling very happy by the time we left. It was a good evening, and we'll go back again.

I got up early Sunday and drove up to Gatesville and picked up a buddy, and then drove on up to Dallas to walk through another gun show. We made a detour to Ft. Worth so I could hand off that GPS system to my another buddy, Jim, who loaned it to me for that road trip to Pennsylvania and Tennessee. He and his wife hatched a plan to go camping in a few weeks at Lost Maples state park. It should be fun. It's a pretty spot.

Then Dave and I drover over to Duncanville to have lunch with another buddy, another Jim, who's putting the finishing touches on a thick-assed book on Custer's Last Stand. You should see that stack of paper. He and Dave had spaghetti and a Stromboli, and I had a meatball sub. By the time Dave and I hit the gun show, the vender's were beginning to start to cover their tables and make their final deals of the weekend. I said hello to a few guys that I know, picked up a cool t-shirt, and walked around pretty quickly. T-shirt says "happiness is a belt fed weapon" on the front, and then has a yellow smiley face on the back, with all these machine gun profiles aiming at it in a big circle. Love it.

Picked up a new guard for my knife project, and a clip for an M-1 carbine (guess I'll have to buy one of those now), and the t-shirt, and that was it. Saw lots of cool stuff, including a whole wall of Kalashnikovs from one guys collection. I guess I could put up mine like that, but who needs the publicity? Spent lots of time looking for that perfect carry pistol, but it evades me. I'll find it. No hurry.

Got back to Denis' place in time to watch the new Ken Burns show on PBS about World War Two. I tell ya, that guy is an amazing artist. I was worried that there might be too much liberal hand wringing about a few things, but I think it covered the topics very evenhandedly. It was cool to see him touch on how screwed up the whole thing was at the beginning, and how the government lied to us and kept things secret to keep morale high, and to see the old guys talk about how they'd just stopped taking prisoners on Guadalcanal at one point, after seeing how the Japanese treated their wounded comrades. Folks now need to take note, and stop being so nit picking about the current conflict. Get the hell out of the way and let the boys win it.

We surfed back and forth between PBS and the Cowboy game. Loved watchin' them beat the Bears like step children. Maybe they'll do well this year. Love old Wade. By god, we've got a Texan coachin' the team again! Denise cooked some amazing food for us, and then we had strawberries and ice cream for desert.

Well, it's Monday, and the week is upon us. It's finals week on Ft Hood, and then I'll have two weeks off from there and only the early morning classes in Florence. Then the next semester will start on the 15th. Hope your weekend was fun, and the next week is good for you. Cheers.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

FHB,
I tried to get my Dad to watch the WWII show, but after a few minutes he told me to turn it back to the Bears/Cowboys football game.

That low country boil looked really tasty. Wish I had some about now.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well for laying around saturday till 5 y'all sure did do lots of stuff!! ha ha we were slugs saturday too, felt good i must say!

smiles, bee

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

We'll have to try that "bake" thing some time - looks good.

Yeah, I watched parts of the WWII thing, but we also wanted to see the NAT GEO special on Alaska...cool! We have been there, but the our trip next July will be much more detailed, so we're trying to learn as much as we can.

Watched the Colt and Houston game with my brother, who is visiting mom.

Maggie Moo said...

Indeed you needed to recharge! Sounds like you had a great weekend, and that boil sounds delish!

*Goddess* said...

Low country boil? Never heard of it but the corn on the cob looked delish! I'm eating vicariously through you and Mushy now...LOL;)

Sarge Charlie said...

Low country boil is a South Carolina thing, worth a trip there just for the food.
I had a M-2 carbine that I picked up from an ARVN soldier in 68, I was a chicken shit and left it in Vietnam. The photo I use on the back of a 3/4 ton I am holding the carbine. I liked it better than the M-16 and I had two banana clips taped together, 60 rounds and with the M-2 you could go through them in a heart beat.

J said...

Sounds like a good weekend. I was just happy to see the Colts whip the Texans yesterday! (yeah, I know, I'm going to catch hell for that one!)

I saw somthing like that boil you had on 'No Reservations' a while back, it looks great. Even with camera phone pictures.

Enjoy your week!

JDP said...

Food looks good. When we lived in Tyler, used to have crawfish boils all the time. boy are they good! The Cowboys/Romo are looking good this year!

JDP

Christo Gonzales said...

that boil looked great....

PRH said...

Not a Cowboys fan, but have Romo on one of my fanasty teams....and the boy is giving me points...

pat

Lin said...

"Coors Light" always seemed redundant to me.

Just read about Burn's WW2 in WSJ. Stuff like that makes me miss a television but that doesn't happen too often.

none said...

Lost maples is a great place. A heck of a hike but gorgeous this time of year.

david mcmahon said...

No time for sloth and indolence this week - it's the Aussie Rules grand final.

Doesn't get bigger than that!

GUYK said...

"...thick-assed book on Custer's Last Stand.."

damn, Custer has been cussed and discussed by so many historians what is left to write about?

I would like to see a paper written by a PHD candidate on something like the influence of the Appalachian culture on Texas or maybe why Oklahoma is actually two different cultures..one south of the Canadian river and the other North..I reckon I could write either but I just don't have the discipline for the research nor inclination for serious study.

GUYK said...

Forgot to add, I do like a low country boil! All ya need to go along with it is a bowl of spicy gumbo

BRUNO said...

I dunno---can't see all that stuff cooked TOGETHER! But if YOU say it's good, I'll take your word for it! But to ME, it sure LOOKS like hell! And not because of the pic-quality, either! Now, the spaghetti and/or stromboli sounds more like it!

But at least you finished the day proper, with a good smoke---it just don't get no better than a MACANUDO, does it???

phlegmfatale said...

I love those cajun boils with the shrimp, potates, sausage and corn. A local cajun eatery also throws in some crab. *YUM* Good stuff!