Thursday, September 06, 2007

Well, my ears are still ringing.

That's what I get for standing in front of that big speaker for about 3 1/2 hours. The lead up band was amazing. Four Black guys from south Florida named The Lee Boys. After they blew the lid off the place with several funky, bluesy instrumental tunes, I went over and got their CD and t-shirt. Turns out they're a Gospel/Blues band. So far the CD doesn't do justice to what I heard tonight, but I haven't listened to it all yet.

I once fell for a band at Terlingua that played a killer live show there. I went ahead and got there CD, and then found out to my displeasure that their music wasn't as good in the can as it was live. Then again, the last time I saw the Crowes in Austin in '95, their lead up band was Government Mule. I'd never heard of them before, but I got their CD, and I've loved it and them ever since. Guess it's a crap shoot.

I snuck my camera into The Back Yard successfully, but every one of the shots I took came out blurred. It really pisses me off. I used to be able to take damned good shots free hand with my old Olympus Stylus, conventional camera. I'd slap 800 speed film, in that thing, turn the flash off, and I'd come home with great off-the-cuff shots from places like Hong Kong, showing the lights of the city from the water at night. But this piece of Panasonic digital crap is drivin' me nits. It's not like I've developed some sort of palsy! It's even got a motion dampener. Here are the closest things approaching decent shots.





I was standing in the crowd about ten to twenty feet in front of the stage, and had nothing to lean up against or prop the thing up on. I guess I should have moved back to the wall and tried back there, but I was enjoying the close up view, and the feel of the vibrations from the speakers. This kid standing next to me had some sort of little camera that he'd snuck in, and was taking amazing shots. He'd just point and shoot, and as soon as he hit the button it would capture a great shot, some even in black and white. Mine seems to take forever to take the shot after I press the button. Anyway, it's very frustrating, and makes me want to toss this thing against a wall and go on the web and get another old fashioned Stylus. Don't even ask me about the phone pictures. Useless!

Anyway, the concert was great. They played long blistering renditions of my favorites like Wiser Time and Thorn In My Pride, as well as lots of other stuff from their excellent recent CD, The Lost Crowes. Thing is, they had the speakers cranked up way too loud, and should have allowed for a more subtle, if still satisfyingly loud performance. But then again, I don't think I've ever been to a rock concert that didn't leave my ears ringing. I don't know why they feel they have to do it that way, but it doesn't make the music sound better. I mean, there's loud... like when you're getting a ticket because it's so friggin' loud (the way I like it in the car), and then there's WAY too friggin' loud, where you can't really hear the different instruments and the singer clearly. I still loved it though, and would go back again any time.

Well, It's waaaaayyyy past my bed time. Maybe my ears will stop ringing by the time I have to go to school in the morning. Cheers.

18 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, FHB!

I have to get up in five hours, so I'd better hit the sack, too.

PRH said...

Good morning....off to my 45 minutes at Honda...life is good!

Nice layout on the blog...makes it easy reading/viewing.

Back Later

pat

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Reading between the lines, I get the feeling your experience was close to mine. Instruments too damn loud to be able to enjoy even the peaks of lyrics!

Oh well, I'm probably too damn old anyway.

Crowes were never a top group for me either.

Didn't Chris remind you of a "John Lennon?" He's a touch effeminate in his movements too...don't you think?

Just my opinion.

FHB said...

Christina - Yep, it was fun.

Pat - Hey, thanks for the compliment, and for comin' by.

Mushy - Yea. It occurred to me that he was trying to channel Janis Joplin there a few times. I guess my experience was about like yours, but maybe my standards for live shows aren't as high as yours. They're always, in my experience, better when they've been recorded and you're listening to the CD. I can't remember ever seeing a rock band that didn't leave my ears throbbing, but I still like going anyway. There's nothing like seeing folks live, in a crowd of other fans.

FHB said...

Oh, and the ears are still fuzzy, by the way. maybe I'm getting old too.

Sarge Charlie said...

Maybe I am old, that loud stuff drives me nuts now, well my ears sound like they are full of crickets anyway from a little over exposure to noise.....

I did get the info in an e mail, haven't used it yet but I will.

oh BTW, you gave me an idea for a blog, may take a day or so....

Sarge Charlie said...

is that an AK you have in your profile photo?

Suldog said...

I know what you mean. Some folks just become intimidated in the studio and the records aren't near as good. And even folks who are good in the studio sometimes feed off of the energy of the crowd and become that much better.

Les Becker said...

I'm willing to bet a 6-pack of Stella that your ears are STILL ringing.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!

FHB said...

I do have a faint little noise in my head, like the buzzing of cikadas in the trees a ways off. It's ether the residual effect of the speakers, or the cloud of weed smoke I stood in for several hours, with these folks blowin' on a pipe secreted away in theor palm. That, mixed with the smell of incense blowing from the stage. Lets say, it was a sensory extraveganza. The beer was cold, women were nice to look at too. A feast.

H2o said...

Can ya hear me now??? Glad you had a good time.

david mcmahon said...

Didja disable the flash? Just curious - maybe set it to `Night Scene' mode the next time, rather than `Automatic' and see what happens /....

FHB said...

Yep, had the flash off, and the motion dampener on full blast. I'll try that setting next time, but even it recommends using a tripod. Couldn't really smuggle one in. Lucky I got the camera in.

Anonymous said...

Hi, was reading your stuff and snooping through your pics and was inspired to write in my blog about an incident involving a cobra atack helicopter at fort hood long ago. My site is new and clumsy, but please come see/comment, you might get a kick out of it. http://gearheadphilosophy.blogspot.com/

J said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Now I am looking to see who is playing near here soon, I haven't been to a concert in so long... I'm jealous!

GUYK said...

LOL a lot of times the quality of the sound is in direct proportion to the amount of alcohol imbibed..been there and done that.

none said...

Sounds like a good time. I haven't been to many concerts lately, getting old I guess ;)

Anonymous said...

FHB,
Glad you got to go see the Crowes in Austin. You ought to leave a pair of foam earplugs in your buggy for loud concerts like that.

Been gone for a few days. I'll catch up with your other posts.