Saturday, September 15, 2007

Every once and a while, I get a glimps of some of the gear and training the soldiers will take to Iraq, when they go back.



This is the parking lot in front of the college office on base. It's kind of a "Where's Waldo" thing. I'm not used to seeing vehicles in green cammo any more. Most of the vehicles on base now, sonce the early 90s in fact, have been painted in desert sand. So when I went to work last week and saw this Hummer parked over by the fast food places, where soldiers get lunch during the day, I had to look closer.



Turned out to be pretty cool. Check out the scope on that "Ma Deuce". I'm assuming the vehicle is in the midst of being modified to go to Iraq. They'll have steel plating around that gun by then. I see it all the time.



The lawn across the street from the college parking lot is often the site of small unit training. I see these guys practicing walking down a street...



Some times they have rifles and SAWs in hand, and some times they just have their hands out, pretending to be carrying their M-4. They spread out in the grass, moving forward slowly, head looking around for anything that might threaten them...



and then hit the dirt when something goes off...



It's a fascinating glimpse of the training these guys get, to try to make sure they make it back from this next tour of duty. For some of these soldiers and NCOs, it's their third trip.



These vehicles were a surprise last Friday. They all had big signs on their front bumpers, in Arabic. I'm assuming the sign read something like "Get the fuck out of our way or we'll kill you!" A few of them had the armored machine gun turrets on the roof of the cab, but this one doesn't. I'll see if I can find them next week and get a better shot.

I hope these guys and gals have a safe tour.

9 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

You know they just keep going back and doing the job, you got to love these guys..

Sarge Charlie said...

I did a post last night in reference to your question about my new toy, the software is cool so far. I did not like the Photo File, but I did not give it a chance, I deleted it.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Very cool insight FHB...thanks.

Is that one of the IED proof vehicles...isn't close enough to tell.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i love the sign on the front of the truck...

smiles, bee

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Made us stop and think. I'd never thought of the desert sand cammo replacing the green until you mentioned it.

Cheers

David

Merisi said...

I know a young guy, a Marine Corps Officer, who survived three tours in Iraq, physically. Mentally, I am still very worried about him.
I cry for all the parents and husbands and wifes and kids and others out there, who have loved ones under those horrible conditions. Every time I hear about more deaths, my heart goes out to everybody involved.

Merisi said...

I am sorry, should have been "wives".

NotClauswitz said...

Re-enlisment is like what, 140% or something?? It's enormous - God Bless 'em and keep 'em safe. That open vehicle doesn't look any too up-armored, I'd only carry al-Quaeda prisoners chained-up in that sucker in case any local wanted to take a pot-shot...

J said...

Actually the signs on the front usually say something like "Stay back 50 feet or you will be shot." They make the stickers for your car now too. I need one, dammit. Yeah, it'll be our 2nd time around now this fall...I am not looking forward to that one.