Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Monday was fun.

Denise and I slept in till late, and then we went to the base to visit the museums and take pictures. Her dad was in the British Army, and she's been around tanks and bases all her life, so she digs this stuff almost as much as I do. I'll post all the pictures I took to the FlickR site. Go down to the right and click on it to see them. Here are a few of the cooler ones.



This is a Cobra from the 4th ID museum.



This is a "Duster", also from the 4th ID Museum.



Here's an old battlefield nuke, called a "Honest John". This one and the rest were taken at the 1st Cavalry Div. Museum.



An M-60A5 prototype, with cool reactive armor.



A T-72, captured in the first Gulf War. There are a lot more of these over at the FlickR site. Check them out.



Later, Denise whipped up an amazing dinner at my place. Beef strips and mushrooms in a wonderful cream sauce, over noodles. She had peas on the side, and I had corn-on-the-cob, slathered in butter and salt and pepper. To die for.


Here's how my share looked. I was full as a tick by the time I cleaned these plates. She's a wonderful cook.


It was a excellent and filling meal. I had three of these beers along with my food, and she had a glass of red wine. We were surprised to find this beer in the local HEB. It's her brothers favorite, and she told me that it was very stout stuff. Hell, I downed three of the things in rapid succession and it didn't even give me a buzz. I tell ya, these Brits love to say that European beers are so much stronger than ours, but I haven't felt it yet. Maybe it'll sneak up on me some day.

She worked her ass off in my kitchen, but she got paid back later, I promise. Have a great week. Cheers.

16 comments:

Les Becker said...

Ah, Stella! I drink that quite often. Good stuff, Hairy.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

STELLA! Oh, that was from a movie!

Saw all the shots on Flickr...a great tour of the base...thanks.

J said...

I'm glad you had a nice weekend. Now we get a nice, gloomy, relaxing day full of rain and clouds. My favorite!

Chuck said...

Mmmmmm sounds and looks so good! The food too, not just the beer! lol

none said...

Those pics remind me of when I got to visit the infantry museum at FT Benning. I love looking at tanks.

I've never had a beer in a green bottle that wasn't skunked. I stopped buying em even though some look really interesting.

Maggie Moo said...

Mmmmm....that sounds like a GREAT dinner, lucky man!

GUYK said...

back in June I took sweetthing on a tour of the museum on Fort Sill..it is impressive if you are interested in old cannons..which I am.

NotClauswitz said...

Sella - a Belgian lager, is "stout"? Not if Frenchmen drink it! Heh, we can get it at Costco, and Peroni, the Italian stuff, it's tasty too.
I loaded up on Steinlager from New Zealand because of the case-price...
;-)
I think the Duster is way-cool, I want one!

Kevin said...

Stella is flat out my favorite beer of all time! I used to get a lot of shit for drinkning it in England, where lager is a "poof's drink" but whatever. Tastes damn good as far as I'm concerned. Oh yeah, killer tank pics too!

david mcmahon said...

Always knew you had a friend called Stella ...

Never knew those were called Honest Johns, though

Sarge Charlie said...

If you ever get to Aberdeen Maryland stop by and see all the armor they have, they have german train mount guns, all kinds of stuff back to WWI tanks, real cool.

FHB said...

Sarge - Been therer, done that, but another guy has the pictures. Was a cool place. Loved all the German gear, but a lot of it looked like it was rusting away. These folks take good care of these vehicles.

Unknown said...

Stellas are pretty popular up here - it's not a bad beer...for a beer:)

Sounds like you had a nice weekend!

Christo Gonzales said...

that beer is ah-ight I like fosters bitter myself..nice dinner and mighty nice of you to take the little woman to the ol' workbench if you get my drift.

BRUNO said...

Bet you didn't think I'd find these pics here, huh? I can smell a good piece of machinery a mile away!

If it's mechanical, I like it!!!

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Great pics.
I wish I could say my Monday was that good.

I did get some range time in, though.