Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hump day again.

I'll give my first final exam of the semester today at 11:30. The rest will be Thursday and Monday. It's a busy time, with me having to grade all the papers and exams and get everything done so that the students can see their averages. I try to get it done pretty quick, so that I get it over with and post the grades on the computer. I've got an online class starting in late October, and I need to get the class web site updated by next week. Never much of a chore, but a tedious amount of time spent on the computer when I'd rather be reading blogs. Never seem to have the time to do that much these days. I've had to let a few of you slide, and I apologise for that. But hell, as soon as I get caught up, some of you have posted a dozen more things, and I'm back where I started.

Denise is flying to Kentucky to visit her kids and grand kids, and go to a friends graduation. I'll take her out to eat Chinese food at The Great Wall, and then I'll take her to the local airport so she can meet her flight. I'll be batchin' it then till she returns late Sunday night. Maybe I'll be able to get a few things done around the house. There'll be a gun show in Belton this weekend, and I'm thinkin' about a trip to Dallas on Saturday to visit a buddy and maybe see a movie. Damn, there went the idea of getting shit done. Never fails.

I'll play pool again tonight, and this time I'll see about getting a little practice in before my match. Need to end this loosing streak. My buddies tell me it's no big deal, and that they think as soon as I get used to playing again' the angles will come back to me. Need to practice, but when the hell do I have time for that? I'll have a two week break between this semester and the next, so I'll have to spend some time in a pool hall and sharpen my eye. Hell, everyone gets beat. I'm just out of practice. Makes me wish I had a pool table in the house, but every one of those I've ever seen was covered with crap, and not used for playin' pool. I've already got an expensive stair machine I never use. That's enough.

So, didn't we all love to hear ol' Amabigajackoff get his ass reamed at Columbia this week? What a silly tool! Question is, where's that sort of passion on the left when it comes to getting congress to back the fuck off and letting the soldiers do what they need to do to get the job done defeating just that same sort of asshole in Iraq?

Been surfin' the Sturmgewehr site this week between classes (and some times while I lecture - slows me down), and found an exciting little toy for sale.


That's a semi-auto Finnish Valmet assault rifle. These things were the ultimate version of the Kalashnikov, till the Israelis copied it and came out with the Galil in the late 1970s. This one shoots 7.62x39, but they also come in .223. He wants $2400 for it. Good luck dude. I'd love to have it, but not now. My M-1 Garand is on the way, and my gunsmith is putting the finishing touches on my AKS-74. And anyway, that's WAY to friggin' much money to spend on something that doesn't swallow.

If any of you are in the mood to get a really nice AK, this one is about the best one on the market today.


It's a Bulgarian SLR-106FR, which is a copy of the current Russian and Bulgarian service rifle (AK-74M), only it shoots .223. It has all the features of a current service rifle, like the current side folding stock, only it's semi-auto and shoots the NATO round. They usually want around $800 for it at gun shows. This one is up on the Sturmgewehr site for $850. Thing is, I had a dude build me one of these from parts a few years back, thinkin' that I'd never get to see a factory made model on the market. Cost me an arm and a leg, but it shoots nice. Has a heavier barrel than this one. Anyway, go for it if the mood hits ya. They're pretty cool to have. Shit, they'll probably be illegal some day, so get it while you can.

Well, I'm off. Cheers.

12 comments:

Kevin said...

Oh, too live in a free state...

Maggie Moo said...

I agree with you on the pool table! My parents had one in their house when I was growing up and it was piled high with clothes, boxes...everything but pool stuff...

none said...

Those valmets are nice. I had an AK hunter that was a copy. But I sold it before the AWB expired so I wouldn't lose my ass.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

"...to friggin' much money to spend on something that doesn't swallow" - great line!

Ain't it the truth. I've been considering cleaning out my gun safe...hell, I never shoot them anymore.

Sure wish I had gone to last week's gun show...need to smell me some gun oil.

Christina RN LMT said...

Good luck with the pool!

I'd comment on the weaponry, but as I know nuthin', what would be the point?!

Um, they're pretty, yet functional?

See what I mean?!

Enjoy your off time and take more food pics, I live vicariously.

J said...

I think having a pool table would be great, but then again, I grew up with one, so I am biased. You would probably enjoy it though, could have friends over to play..smoke a few cigars and drink some beer. Hey, it's an idea.

Hope you have fun this weekend. I'm in that same boat with you, my Friday will be spent alone. Sounds like I need to go find a new book to read..........

Anonymous said...

I wish those guns were featured in SOCOM 3!

Sweet.

BRUNO said...

Twenty-four hundred, eh? Needs to knock-off ONE of those zeros! Don't care HOW sweet they are!

Think I'll just stick with 12-ga. #4, with a few rounds of 00-buck held in reserve. Hell, I can't even SEE much farther than the pattern would fly, anyway.......!

NotClauswitz said...

I've heard good things about the AK round vs .223 as far as penetrability and such despite the acurracy problems - which a high-quality build can reduce to tolerable levels...

Unknown said...

It seems like whenever you get some type of a "toy" for your own house, you never seem to use it as much b/c the novelty seems to wear off.

*Goddess* said...

I just read Bruno's post and as I started to read yours, I thought, "What? No gun pic? I don't believe it!" Then I scrolled down a little further...

Sarge Charlie said...

You are too funny, I had no idea that those weapons were so expensive, I wonder what my old M-2 Carbine would bring.....