Sunday, September 02, 2007

Sunday with the family, and a new dinner guest.

I took Dad to eat Chinese food last Friday, at our regular spot. It's called Dynasty, in Temple.



I took this nice shot of the place, noticing the cloud formations in the sky. It was threatening to rain, and did begin to sprinkle on the place while we ate. We came out and found everything shining with moisture and the sky a little darker. Turns out more than a few local high school football games were delayed by rain and lightning Friday night. Nice way to begin the season.

Saturday was a lazy day. Laid around till about 1:30, and then decided to go and get Pizza and invite friends over to watch the college games. Watched the Tennessee/Cal St. game, and enjoyed a few Flying Dog, In Heat Wheat's in a chilled mug with the double decker Pizza. During half time we all walked down the road to a local marble slab ice cream place and had a nice treat.
By the time we walked back to the house, the score was 31 to 38, and we were thinkin' we were gonna get to see a good ending. Then the Cal folks let that running back loose, and it got ugly quick. Reminded me of a lot of Cowboy games I've seen. You get behind, catch up, and then get behind again. Always playing catch-up, but never able to get ahead. Interesting metaphor for my life these days, but that's another story.

Took Denise to Temple Sunday evening to let her meet my sister (She met my folks Friday before last), and let her partake of one of our oldest family rituals. That's right, Mom was cooking fried chicken and home made peach ice cream again. This will be the last time we have this stuff this year, what with the weather beginning to change and winter on it's way. Maybe she'll cook the chicken again, but we'll have to wait till next spring for the real treat.

Those of you who've been coming by for a while have seen this stuff before, and some may even remember when I posted the recipe. Go here for a reminder.



The chicken was already cooked when we got there. She does SUCH a good job.



Mom prepares the ice cream ahead of my arrival. I bring a bag of ice, put the ice cream maker together, set the tub of cream in the freezer, fill it full of ice and salt, and set it going.



Mom comes by from time to time to check on the goodies. You can always tell the ice cream is soon to be served when the freezer begins to strain and slow down. The excitement builds in the house as you can hear the machine straining. Finally it stops, and I bust it open and begin to serve the goodies. Mom gets the first plate, then dad, then Denise (she's a guest, after all), then sis, and finally me. There's a method to this madness. You see, the sweetest ice cream is always at the bottom of the bin. It was a good feed.



Denise made a wonderful Mexican dip, and I grazed on it while the ice cream was freezing. We all enjoyed it, and I'll enjoy it again Monday morning for breakfast.



My sis finally arrived, and she and Denise hit it off really well. They are a lot alike, and yet very different people. Same thing with Denise and me. They chatted while the ice cream froze.



It started raining while we ate, and we watched as mom's garden soaked up the moisture. She keeps it looking nice, but it's beginning to be a lot of work for her.



Afterwords I went around takin' sly shots of the folks, and got as great one of me and mom.



And then Denise took a few pictures of the family. This one turned out nice.



After the feed, it was relaxation time. I was dyin' to take a nap.



Denise is an expert at not letting me get a good shot. It amazes me, her instincts. She's quick.

We stayed for a few hours, and then Denise and I headed back to my place with the left over dip and chicken. That stuff will taste good after it's been in the fridge over night. You guys want any, you can try to pry it from my dead fuckin' fingers. Ha! Well, I hope your weekend was just as good, and I hope you enjoy your Monday off and then the short work week. I know I will. Cheers.

13 comments:

Lin said...

Good thing I don't leave the canyon or I'd show up at your door and fight you best 2 outta three for the chicken and dip leftovers - gawd, they look good!

Great shot Denise took of the clan, too. I sure envy your mom's garden though - please tell her so.

phlegmfatale said...

Wow - your mom's garden is absolutely beautiful! *envy mode*

Looks like y'all had a grand time. I'm glad you got to get together. Have a nice Labor Day, fhb!

J said...

Looks like you all had a very good time! Your moms garden is amazing, I wish I had a green thumb like that.
I'm glad you all had such a nice weekend together! Have a good Labor Day.

*Goddess* said...

LOL!! Go, Denise!

Sarge Charlie said...

No time to read the post now but I did read your comment on mine and posted this comment.........

FHB, I am truly sorry I offended your British Squeez, I feel that I am never too old to learn stuff, I shall never make the same mistake again.

david mcmahon said...

Lots of people I know are big fans of Dynasty.... or was that the TV series?

david mcmahon said...

Love ya mom's garden, too

Sarge Charlie said...

Your mom is a cool person, my mama died last year at 86, she was fun till the day she died.

Anonymous said...

FHB,
Fried chicken and peach ice cream. *drool* What time on Sunday is that again?

Great family pic of the four of you.

H2o said...

I really like the picture of you and your mom. Fried chicken looks good too.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Sure need to try some of that chicken and ice cream one day. It looks so good.

We actually had some Sunday, but it had been made the day before and frozen, which is how I used to like it, but softer would have been better on the cobblers!

See ya.

Evalinn said...

Seems like u had a great party! Nice pics too, I really liked the sky on the first one!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure there's anything better than fried chicken made by a true Southener. Glad to hear that things seem to be going well with the new girlfriend (and we're finally getting some details!).