Thursday, August 23, 2007

I'm so proud of my mom.

Today was a bit of a bummer, but there were a few highlights.

Rolled home at about 7am and sat down in front of this thing in a funk. Need-to-know kinda shit. So anyway... I popped open OE and read one from Mushy reminding me that he was going to see the Black Crowes in Knoxville Wednesday night with a load of good friends. For a second, I actually thought to myself "You know, If I left right now... I might be able to get there by show time." SHEEEIIITTTT!

I tell ya, I've GOT to get a new set of friends around here. Boring the shit out of me lately. Never want to go do anything, accept go out after work and play pool. Cheeeerist! Have to drag them kicking and screaming to do anything else. The Crowes are playing in Austin and Ft. Worth in a few weeks, and I'm havin' a hell of a time finding anyone who wants to go. Got one ticket to the Austin show, but waiting on word from others about the show at Billy Bobs. Well, I'll have a good time anyway!

So, I stuff it all, like usual, shower, dress and head to work to teach my lunch time classes. My mom calls me about half way through class and tells me that she's bought a new car and needs me to come over to Temple to help them go get it.

Mom and dad have been talking for a long time about replacing the old Grand Marquis. With about 120,000 miles and lots of little dings and creeks, mom was worried that it would start to cost them money on repairs. So I was trying to get them into something. I wanted to take them out to look at a used Camry, but never could get mom to go with me to look.

Thing is, dad always handled these sorts of things in the family. He always got the cars fixed, and decided what they needed, and did all the talking with the dealer. And of course, the cars were always in his name. Dad did everything, to the point that I didn't know anything about buying a car till I did it for myself the first time, buying this Solara. Dad even put gas in the cars for years, with mom never having to worry about it. It was like he saw this as his job as the provider, and the boss, to do everything, and felt hurt if we wanted to do anything or make any decisions on our own.

This time, dad couldn't do anything. He's beyond it. Usually doesn't remember the last thing he said fifteen minutes ago. Tells the same stories over and over, and says things to me like "Did I ever tell you about taking my father to see your house?" His dad's been dead for 45 years.

So this time, mom did it all. She looked in the paper and decided what sort of car she wanted, went out to the dealership and found the car she liked, and then made the deal to get it. There was an unexpected wrinkle though. In stead of trading in the old Grand Marquis, she ended up getting a fat check from the insurance company.

About two weeks ago, driving dad to the VA for his morning exercise, she was back-ended by another elderly lady. The car was drivable, but with the age and mileage, the insurance company decided to total it. They would never have gotten much from the dealer in trade, but USAA ended up giving them $4000! Mom put the money down on the new car, and we went over today to pick it up.

It's a 2007 Buick Lucerne, with about 20,000 miles on it. Beautiful! The colors are perfect (I think it's called Sagemist Metallic). I was amazed and so proud of her. I told her it was beautiful, and that she'd done a great job. She was relieved, hanging on my words, thinking that maybe I wouldn't like it. I told her how proud I was of her, gave her a big kiss and she hugged me really tight.

We went into the office so that mom could sign all the paperwork, and dad sat to the side, next to the wall. As mom signed all the papers, the car being in her name this time, dad spoke up saying that he felt like crying, like he was unnecessary. We all told him not to be silly, but it broke my heart.

I looked out the big glass pane window at the blue sky and billowing white clouds and almost started crying myself. Then the finance guy gave dad a little box, and told him "This is for you." He fumbled with it but couldn't open it, so I got up to help him. I was thinkin' it might be a cool little pocket knife, but it was a cheap little Buick key ring and emblem. It was like giving a shiny toy to a little kid to give him something to play with.

My heart broke again as I remembered how strong and authoritarian this little old man once was. He used to be in control, to the point that the rest of us were left unprepared for life. God, I used to hate him. Now, at 85, he has just enough memory to now how things used to be, and how much fun it was being in control, but not enough to be able to function on his own on any real level. It's a terrible limbo to watch him walk around in. I find myself some times wishing he'd die quietly in the night, so he wouldn't have to deal with the indignities of his age and ill health, but that's not the way life goes.

I took the Marquis back to their house while mom drove dad home in the new car. I took the old DOD stickers and plates off the old car and emptied it of all their gear, and parked it out front of their house so the USAA folks can pick it up tomorrow. I got all this done just in time to jet back to Killeen to teach my 4:45 PM class. I didn't have any time to relax at all, and all I could think about on the drive back to the base was my poor old dad, and my buddy in Knoxville, havin' a great time.

In about two hours and a bit, I took my students from the Boston Massacre to the end of the Revolution in 1792, and then after class I headed over to the local Chinese food place to meet Denise and a mutual friend from work. Some of you, who read this thing regularly, may know that Mushy's cousin Kay works here on Ft. Hood. The three of us met at The Great Wall Cafe and had a great dinner. I sat and listened to the two of them solve all the schools problems, and it was a hoot. I was forbidden from taking any pictures.

Afterwards, my sweetie and I retired to the house in our individual cars, and while I sat down here to check email, she made a trip to the grocery store. She knew I was feeling down, and that it'd been a crappy day, so she got me a present. When she got here, she busted out a six pack of Guinness Draught! The bottles, with the little doohickey in them. Her English family drinks this stuff, and from what I'd heard, it's supposed to be pretty stout shit.

Usually I'll start to feel a little buz after a few dark beers, especially if I chug 'em. Well, I've downed two of these so far tonight without even a hint of a buzz. Kind of a let down. Tastes like stale root beer, without the sweetness. Not really BAD, but not all that ether. I dunno man. Maybe it's not hittin' me because my gut is loaded with the generals chicken and shrimp fried rice. Who knows? Maybe I need to kill off a few more. Well, I'll save the binge for later.

Mushy briefly called me from the concert a little while later, and it sounded like he was being jammed by the NSA. I called him a bit later and he told me that the concert was a bust. Lousy sound system. Go over to his site when he posts the review and he'll lay it all out for ya. I was very disappointed. I love the Black Crowes to death. I saw them in about 1995 in Austin, in a little intimate venue, with Government Mule as their lead-up band. They knocked my socks off back then, touring to support their wonderful Armorica album. Well, I'm hopin' they fix the issue, whatever was, by the time they get to The Backyard in Austin, because I'll me layin' on the lawn, cuttin' class and chillin' to the tunes.

Well, that's enough for a Wednesday night. Have a great day, and I'll see ya later. Cheers.

16 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm sorry to hear that about your dad. Watching a strong man like that go downhill must be very hard.
Not a real big fan of Guinness myself... my favorite beer would be Stella Artois.

none said...

Watching parents decline is hard to watch. I am glad they got a good car. Reliability is a must at that age.

I had a car totalled by USAA once, I took the cash, bought it back from them for $100 and drove it until the whels fell off.

Anonymous said...

No wonder you were so bushed last night. I am very proud of your Mom also and love her new car (although I'll never buy a Buick again myself). I feel for your family in watching your Dad's decline. The pictures of him as a young man and you as a toddler, the 2 of them as a young couple, etc., say it all. Next time let's let Densie choose the eating establishment although Wall was closest for your schedule. Belle

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Man I love that Buick...one of the few classy looking American cars left. I had hoped my mom would have gotten one, but she is so stuck on Caddies...you know how most of that generation is!

You broke my heart talking about your dad...so sad man...I wish the same thing on him you do...no dignity lying around having someone wipe your ass. That's the way my step-dad went and I felt some sorry for him.

Don't think I'll ever be a Guinness man, the black & tan Yuengling is about as dark as I care to go.

If your concert is outdoors, there is hope. I heard Gov't Mule in the Tennessee theater and it started the same way, but someone in the crew was listening and tweaked it. Anymore more over at Mushy's later!

Anonymous said...

FHB,
You should be proud of your Mom. That's quite an achievement for her. I'm glad your Mom can still drive for the both of them.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Mom has dementia; Dad's legally blind. Neither can drive. I can relate to all the feelings you described.

It's good that you're there for your folks in their time of need. Sometimes it's tough to fight the urge to just walk away from it all. You're a good egg.

You really need to go to that Black Crowes concert in Austin. Even if it means going by yourself, for your own sanity.

Take care,

*Goddess* said...

I know it was a really sad day for me when I realized my dad is one of the elderly people that I now care for. My mother is the same age, but she gets around good, so it's not the same with her. But dad can barely walk and most of his day is spent watching tv. Makes me feel bad when I think about all the stuff he used to do around the house and all the stuff he can't do now.
Good for your mom buying the car. I gotta give her credit. I HATE buying a car. Used to be I dreaded paying for, now I dread BUYING it.

JDP said...

Sorry about your dad's declining health. My dad has been gone over twenty years. Enjoy the time you have with him.

JDP

NotClauswitz said...

Even with the nitrogen thingy Guinness doesn't travel well, that being said it can also sneak up on ya and lay a wallop - but still it's a good excuse to go where they make it and drink fresh-stuff in a "real" Pub - or it's local competitors who I'm told are actually even better.
My wife's dad, once past the threshold of actually remembering that he was once quite different, became more happily satisfied with himself and more self contained. It was sometimes hard to watch and acknowledge -- especially when certain intrinsic but not entirely "great" characteristic emerged that recalled the person he once was. He passed away in February.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you Mom is quite the gal. Probably a lot stronger than even she thought she was. Hate to see folks decline mentally. It has to be really hard on both you and your mom. And I agree with jerry. You owe yourself that concert. Just do it.

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Give your amazing Mum a kiss from me, all the way from Australia.

And your Dad? Give him a big hug from me, from someone he doesn't even know - and tell him it doesn't matter if he didn't need to sign the papers this time, because he was there every other time when it really counted.

Haven't done it yet? Man, how many times do I have ter tell you? Git on with it ....

Love ya work

David

Anonymous said...

FHB - You made me cry too, the way you were so proud of your mum and devastated for your dad.

I watched a programme recently about the world's oldest people, they were marvelling at a 114 year old woman who they wheeled into a room, she looked bewildered and I thought, no thank you. If I can't look after my own body and know which day it was I don't wish to be here.

You just have to accepting of your dad's decline, remember him for who he was and help the person he has become.

Your mum sounds like a great lady. She's a lesson to us all that you're never too old to learn and with you beside her she has little to worry about.

That was a great post, thanks for allowing us to read your thoughts, they were well deserving of 'Post of the Day'.

Sarge Charlie said...

Sorry, I cannot join in for a beer, you see the old sarge became way too found of the booze, haven't had a drink now in over 20 years.

FHB said...

Thanks guys. You're all the reason why I love this blogging thing more and more all the time... all the sweet folks I've run into in this past year. Thanks again.

phlegmfatale said...

I hate that this is happening to your pa, but I'm proud of your mom stepping up her game and making sure things are taken care of.

I've always called Guinness the liquid loaf. I like it on rare occasions, but I generally prefer Harp or something less opaque. In the murky category, I tend to prefer Chimay or some other trappist-style brew.

Victorya said...

What a wonderfully written and moving post. I was smiling as you praised your mom, I imaginge she must have been so proud, and is probably discovering so many things she can do now, despite the sad circumstances.

Lin said...

I already knew you were a wonderful son, now you've gone and proved it again. Your father was a proper old-school patriarch as expected of him but I am so glad that your mum is getting a chance to finally try out her own wings. They both sound like wonderful people, God bless them both.