Monday, August 13, 2007

Took my sweetie down to Austin Sunday for Mexican food.

We laid around till mid day, thinkin' of what we were gonna do, other than lay around and have a lazy day. At some point I thought of food, and thought about how long it had been since I'd been to Austin and gone to Papasito's. Love that place. She was game, so we got cleaned up and I drove us down in her car, down 195 to I-35, towards the goodies.



We ran by this dude on the way. Loved those kayaks. The one on the right has a rudder. Can't imagine where he gets to use it around here though. Our lakes and rivers are still full to capacity, and mostly off limits. Would love to try one of those things one day.

At one point I switched the radio to a local Austin channel, KGSR, and this blissful little tune spilled out. This one's for the Goddess.



Love it! Junior Brown rocks baby! He plays the hell out'a that, whatever the hell it is. Tell me your toes weren't tappin' at that one? Oh bullshit, they were too!



Papasito's is a great little spot. They have them all over, and the food is great at all the spots I've been to. My favorite thing is the Brochette Shrimp, but I forgot to order that this time.



We got there a bit late in the day, so we had to wait about ten minutes for our table. We headed to the bar, and my sweetie ordered the drinks.



Her choice was a Seven 'n Seven, and mine was a Shiner from the tap.



When we got to the table, I ordered a bowl of the special spicy beef Queso dip. You really need to try this stuff if you get a chance. They do something special to the ground beef and then mix it with the cheese dip. It's to die for.



Eventually Denise went for a delicious strawberry margarita, and I had another Shiner.



My dinner choice was the chicken and steak fajita enchiladas...



And hers was the chicken enchiladas. Both were delicious, but having downed about two and a half bowls of chips and dip, we ended up taking about half our dinner home in a to-go box.



The place was jumpin' for a Sunday night, and the service was a bit slow, but the quality of the food more than made up for all that.



Afterwards, we went up 183 to a marble slab ice cream place I know, and I had my usual; cheese cake ice cream with heath bar crunchies mixed in. She had some chocolate thing. I wasn't paying too close attention by then, fixated as I was on my own feed, and not getting any of it on me in the 100 degree heat. Later we walked over to Whole Foods, and she checked out some of the British tea and food they have there. Then it was over to the Barnes & Noble book store across 183, where I plunked down about $80 on a few new CDs. Found some Allman Brothers that I didn't have, and a few other things.

All in all, it was a great day. Still tippin' the scales at 293, so I figured I could splurge. I'll work it all off later. Hope your Sunday was as good. Cheers.

10 comments:

Alex L said...

My god thats a lot of mexican, i must say I'm more than slightly jealous at the moment.

none said...

I like papasitos, it's about the only big place in austin that doesn't do velveeta :)

Marble slab: I get cheecake with strawberry and graham crackers. I'm about 6'4 and 280 so they don't call me queer when I order it.

Looks like you all had a good one nothing like sharing good food and good times.

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Love the pictures. Re: marble slab ice cream place, we've got 'em here and the franchise is called Cold Rock. My kids love going there!

Keep smiling

David

*Goddess* said...

Thanks for the song! I loved it....but I loved that ice cream cone more and well, Denise's supper....DAMN, that looked GOOD.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Can't believe I'm craving Mexican at 9 in the morning...and yeah, ice cream!

phlegmfatale said...

Wow! This IS a bracing change!

Sounds like you and Denise had a grand time of it. That food looks yummy, as does the strawberry margarita. Yum. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, man all that looks so damn good! I want some Mexican food now...and alcohol!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Y'know FHB, I think this gal' is good for you.. and no, it's not 'cos she's a Brit, either (though it helps a bit). You sound more mellow thesedays, dare I say "happier"? (Smile.)

Les Becker said...

No wonder I'm not gaining my weight back fast enough - I'm not eating enough Mexican! OR ice cream! OR beer, dammit!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend in Texas and I remember fondly all the great food I had there. I especially liked the chicken fried whatever and the biscuits and the gravy and tons of other fattening stuff.