Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Yesterday was a good day.

I'm still not really here. Still on the road, somewhere out there in vacation land, but I'm getting here sure enough. My semester started Monday, but my heart wasn't in it. Only started making out my schedule planner last evening, and handing out syllabi to the students. Oh, my lectures are all cool. That stuff is easy, like falling off a log. I just open up and it spills out, but my heart still isn't really in it.

Funny thing happened Monday at 4:45pm. Every semester begins with the administrative folks coming into class the first day and giving the students a talk on dropping classes and counseling, and not eating or drinking in the rooms. I looked up from my podium Monday and who did I see walking into the room, but Mushy's cousin Kay. She's a counselor here on Ft. Hood, and a great lady. Very well thought of by everyone.

I thought as she spoke that I should get a picture (it's a disease, I wanna tell ya), but I figured it'd weird out all the kids, so I didn't. Then, last night I ran into her in the hall, and this time had no such compunctions. Of course, all I had was the Razor, so the picture isn't all that.



I'm getting pretty good at the "grab them around the neck and take a shot" thing. Kay said she'd been following my trip on the blog, and keeping up with all my adventures in Tennessee with her cousin. Small world eh?

Last night I took the liberty to let my students go early on the first night of my Tuesday/Thursday evening classes. I handed out the syllabi, gave the talk, took roll, and then jetted out to get my sweetie and a stogie, and watch my buddy Dave and his team play pool at a local drinking establishment. I stood by the door, next to my buddy, with a Macanudo simmering in one hand, and a Shiner in a chilled mug in the other, and decided life was good after all.

At one point the last game ended in a win, the folks started to pack up their pool cues, and I figured they were getting ready to leave. I'd just got another mug and didn't want it to go to waste, so I chugged it. I immediately started feeling really happy, so I smoked the Mac down to the label while my friends haggled over scores, and then I let my sweetie drive the Solara over to IHOP, where we all ate a late night drunks breakfast. Had my usual.... A grilled sourdough ham and egg sandwich. Just had the other half of it for breakfast again, after driving home from my sweeties place. Life is good.

This evening, my lady friend and I are going to have dinner with another blogger, who's in town for the week. Holly, from over at Holly's Hystrionics is going to be introduced to the joys of my favorite Chinese food place here in Killeen. I hope the Chinese cooks don't disappoint. This whole meeting bloggers thing is getting to be a fun habit. Turns out her mom lives just up the street from me, practically. Again, small world.

Finally, here's a shot of Mushy and I on the porch, relaxing, listening to tunes piped in from his hard drive and solving the worlds problems, my last night in Harriman. It's one of my favorite shots.



Good times. I wish I was smiling' in it, but I was too worried about the timer going off and getting the shot right. I worry too much about a lot of things. Long story.

Anyway, I hope all your days are sunny, and the rest of your week is painless. I'll be back posting quickie music shots from YouTube in no time, and takin' dad to eat more Chinese food this Friday. The weekend is lookin' like a lazy one. Life is steadily returning to normal, and that's a good thing. Cheers.

11 comments:

BRUNO said...

Be your luck the first thing you notice, after you're all comfy and home again, is that somebody replaced your favorite, time-tested toilet seat---and now you have to start from scratch, again....!

(It wasn't supposed to make sense, just my way of passin' thru!)

Christo Gonzales said...

the daily grind...it could be worse you know.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Well damn...you can almost see "the boys with the funny nose" in that shot! You could have at least PhotoShoped it!

That was a great night and one we could not have had this week - too blasted hot!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Oh, and BTW...like the tweaks to your template...the yellow and incorporated header look great. I bet David will move you up this week!

Kevin said...

Wow - back to class already? Didn't seem like much of a summer (lengthwise), FHB...

Christina RN LMT said...

Good to hear you're getting back in the groove...yesterday was my first day back on the job after NINE WEEKS off for maternity leave.
It's not easy.

Alex L said...

We were alwyas allowed to eat in our lecture halls, well we did anyway, bythe way i'm a bit of a newbie to your little blog what do you teach.

Smoke em if you got em.

Les Becker said...

"Anyway, I hope all your days are sunny, and the rest of your week is painless." I think that may be the nicest thing anybody wished me today (kinda makes my day sound crappy when it wasn't). I would really like you to wish me up some Chinese food, now though...

Kevin said...

Whoa! New format huh? Nice!

FHB said...

Yep. Workin' on it. A work in progress. Header's grivin' me nuts.

david mcmahon said...

Hi FHB,

Man, you and Mushy look like two very cool dudes. Hang on - you ARE two very cool dudes.

Keep smiling

David