Friday, August 03, 2007

Up late postin' at the hotel (road trip diary - 10).

Here's vivid proof that I've really been hoggin' ol' Mushy's computer in the last week, which is why nether of us have been able to read all of your posts lately.



Well, ok, I've looked into a few, but it's been a relief to be able to get away from the damn computer and have some fun, see some sights. I'll be back to my normal life soon enough, and commenting at my normal, haphazard pace. Mushy will too, once I get out of his hair. He's been a gracious host, driving me all over and showing me a lot of the sights we've all grown to love in his posts.



Today he took me out to Potter's Falls, which he described as an old swimming hole/make out place from days gone by. The place was beautiful, and I can see why folks would head out there to take a dip in the summer heat. Beautiful and somewhat secluded. The mind wanders to visions of all the fun folks have had there, stretching back to the last century.



Looking up stream, I wanted to get under that water myself.



Beautiful waterfall, leading to a pond that was filled with muddy water from the recent rains. Mushy said that normally this water is clear and wonderful.



A shot as we walked back up the trail to the truck. Beautiful. Then he drove me up to Frozen Head State park, out past the the old Brushy Mtn. State Pen. Another beautiful spot, but the pictures really didn't come out. Oh well, next time.



Then it was on to Baily's Sports bar, which any regular reader of Mushy's blog will recognise right off.



We ordered a few beers, and chips and salsa to start off, and then more substantial food for lunch. Good stuff, and pretty quick service. i can imagine how much fun these folks have when a UT game is on the big screen, and the whole place is jumpin'.



We had a good time.



Then we went to his local cigar place, and we browsed the choices. I made my first serious cigar purchases, and formally joined the club by getting my first cigar cutter and putting it on my key ring. Learnin' a lot of things here at the feet of the master



His in-laws showed up at about 4pm and the party began. We enjoyed great stories and laughter as cigar smoke wafted through he porch, and ate wonderfully grilled burgers, and drank chilled glasses of Yoengling, and finally we (a few of us) enjoyed a few shots of Mushy's favorite scotch. All these folks made me feel right at home, and the feeling of comfort and family was unmistakable.



My hosts have really opened their hearts to me, and it feels wonderful. The whole bunch, including their in-laws and Mushy's mom, feel like they've been in my family for years. I can't wait to come back, or get them all to come to Texas. Mushy and I'll both need to get serious about getting ourselves into some sort of better shape though if we want to do some serious hiking when I come back, and I'll have to arrange to come in a more pleasant season for it. Hell, we don't even hike or camp out in this heat in Texas!
Well, I've got one more day of fun with these folks, and then it's another 14 hour drive on Saturday, back to my regular life and all the wonderful folks waiting there for me to return. One person in particular, will be waiting for me at the house, and it'll be fun getting reacquainted after this long absence.
Anyway, it's late, and I'm off to bed. Cheers.

7 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

We will always look forward to your return trips with great anticipation!

Thanks for coming!

Christo Gonzales said...

I will say it again...how great that you and mushy are such fantastic buddies.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Yeah, paints a smile on my heart, my friends..

BRUNO said...

A short get-away from "the blogs" usually does refresh ones' mind. That is, if they have any mind left to refresh!

I plead insanity, your honor....!

GUYK said...

That swimming hole looks like it would be a good trout stream also...glad you are having a good time..after teaching a bunch of military types you probably needed the break

phlegmfatale said...

Wow - Potter's Falls DOES look like an incredible spot!

Cigars said...

Very Nice ... Keep it up